Mean Wave Dir: ENE (70°)
AT Ps: 30.04 in (1017.3 mb)
Air Temp: 69°F (20.3°C)
Dew Point: 66°F (18.8°C)
Water Temp: 74°F (23.4°C)

What is the best cast net - SaltwaterCentral.Com

Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch  SearchNew Forum Posts 

What is the best cast net

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill
Highprofit86
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:11 am    Post subject: What is the best cast net Reply with quote

Looking to buy a new net ours has seen her better days we will be using it for big baits manhaden mainly what is the best ??  
candyman
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 12:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new Marauder from Betts is awesome!!  
kicker30
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2018 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the op doesn’t mind me adding to his question, what’s also the best combination of radius and mesh size y’all have found as well. The only things that sucks worse than having to fight forever to get all the gilled smaller fish out of a larger mesh net after a throw is not being able to catch those bigger baits because your net isn’t big enough or mesh is too small and it won’t sink fast enough (or both) and they swim out from under it before it gets to them.  
jdunk
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2018 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one made in florida by a local, he made cast nets for bait, mullet, and fish gill nets and flounder nets. The net I have is 12', 5/8" Mesh and 1.2# per foot. She is heavy sinks fast and catches bait, the prices on a custom at the time were a little cheaper than a betts or Calusa. The net is 13 years old and still as good as when I bought it, but its been taken care of. I think I paid 140-150 ish for it. I will check and see if I still have his info or if he even makes nets anymore. Not sure if someone local would make you one, or where to even start looking for contact info, maybe someone has that on here...  
getyasome
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depends on what you are willing to spend on a net.
I personally have an OIFC Custom Elite. I know a lot of people will say you are wasting your money but the net throws and catches bait hands down better than your store brands. I have had the cheap ones and mid-range ones. But his net is by far better build and made for catching pogy. I have thrown on bait no one else can throw on and catch a net full and i am off to the races. They work great in deeper water as well. The faster you catch bait the more fishing time you have! Just my 2 cents.

jdunk
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

getyasome wrote:
Depends on what you are willing to spend on a net.
I personally have an OIFC Custom Elite. I know a lot of people will say you are wasting your money but the net throws and catches bait hands down better than your store brands. I have had the cheap ones and mid-range ones. But his net is by far better build and made for catching pogy. I have thrown on bait no one else can throw on and catch a net full and i am off to the races. They work great in deeper water as well. The faster you catch bait the more fishing time you have! Just my 2 cents.

I agree 100%, Ive had the same results you speak of. A quality net will last you many years...

Keyrlite
Deck Hand
Deck Hand

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kicker30 wrote:
If the op doesn’t mind me adding to his question, what’s also the best combination of radius and mesh size y’all have found as well. The only things that sucks worse than having to fight forever to get all the gilled smaller fish out of a larger mesh net after a throw is not being able to catch those bigger baits because your net isn’t big enough or mesh is too small and it won’t sink fast enough (or both) and they swim out from under it before it gets to them.

I have an 8 ft with 5/8” mesh and 1.5lb of weight per foot. I can’t remember what brand it was but it was around $150. I can throw a 10 or 12 but sometimes you catch so much bait that you can’t bring it in the boat. This one is only for menhaden or really large jumping mullet. For finger mullet or shrimp I’d use 3/8” in an 8’

werewolf0711
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 18, 2018 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been throwing a barracuda brand all year. By far the best net I've thrown to date and I've thrown just about all of them. Material feels much different than anything else. And there warranty is awesome I went with a 12' 1.7# per ft as I wanted something heavy. I also have a 10' Tim Wade net and it is up there as the best as well. You can get the 10' from The Tackle Box in Southport. Brant's nets are great as well but carry a heavier price tag than others. It is geared exactly for what they advertise it to do.

I haven't tried the new betts net but the old ones I despised. They would throw good once but then tangle worse than anything. The material wasn't that great either.

Team Kraken
JB Custom Rods
Check US out on Facebook!
McAttacK Fishing Team

www.mcattackfishing.com

getyasome
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keyrlite wrote:
kicker30 wrote:

I have an 8 ft with 5/8” mesh and 1.5lb of weight per foot. I can’t remember what brand it was but it was around $150. I can throw a 10 or 12 but sometimes you catch so much bait that you can’t bring it in the boat. This one is only for menhaden or really large jumping mullet. For finger mullet or shrimp I’d use 3/8” in an 8’

getyasome
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keyrlite wrote:
kicker30 wrote:

Highprofit86
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Wed Sep 19, 2018 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the input I have been looking at the barracuda nets they look to be quality nets and price is right going to order this Friday I will post what I decide on  
captfields_sc
2nd Mate
2nd Mate

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2018 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll second Barracuda Nets. Quality nets!  
CAPT_B
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just got a new net a few weeks ago. Haven't thrown it yet but it's a heavy one. It's a Humpback 12' 5/8" mesh with 2lbs per foot. Should sink nice and fast compared to my Fitec 12' 3/8" mesh 1.5lber I had before. I still use the Fitec too but for fall fishing I wanted something heavier or bigger. I was also looking at barracuda nets but the price was way out of my league.

Kryptek Fishing Team

OnMyWay Charters
27\' Mako Cuddy 150 yami 4strokes
www.onmywaycharters.com

Carolina King Productions
https://vimeo.com/user13567146

AB1620
Ol'Salt
Ol'Salt

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

werewolf0711 wrote:
I have been throwing a barracuda brand all year. By far the best net I've thrown to date and I've thrown just about all of them. Material feels much different than anything else. And there warranty is awesome I went with a 12' 1.7# per ft as I wanted something heavy. I also have a 10' Tim Wade net and it is up there as the best as well. You can get the 10' from The Tackle Box in Southport. Brant's nets are great as well but carry a heavier price tag than others. It is geared exactly for what they advertise it to do.

I haven't tried the new betts net but the old ones I despised. They would throw good once but then tangle worse than anything. The material wasn't that great either.

They still do. I have the Betts 12' Super Pro No Spook Camo with 3/4" Mesh and 1.7lbs/ft. If you get it untangled in the yard before going you can get about 2 throws out of it before it is tangled again. It's something about the weigh it pulls up after you throw and the material. The next one I buy will probably be a Calusa and it's going to be a 10'. I don't care what anyone says, the 12 is overkill. You can catch them just fine with a 10'.

makhunter
1st Mate
1st Mate

PostPosted: Mon Sep 24, 2018 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Morada by betts is hands down the best I can throw it 20 times without a tangle unlike the no spook I agree after about 5 throws it is a mess. The morada is the best setup Betts has come up with  

Onslow Bay Boatworks

Stormwater BMP Services

Post new topic   Reply to topic    SaltwaterCentral.Com Forum Index -> On The Hill All times are GMT

Page 1 of 1

Jump to: